Harry R. Schwartz
Code writer, sometime Internet enthusiast, attractive nuisance.
email hacker news gitlab sourcehut pinboard librarything
1B41 8F2C 23DE DD9C 807E A74F 841B 3DAE 25AE 721B
Just a handful of sites and people I like. Doing my part to bring back blogrolls.
- Caret-Dash-Caret: My partner Jenny’s delightful blog.
- Overthinking Everything: Terrific short essays, observations, and words for things. See also the author’s more casual blog, DR MacIver’s Notebook.
- The Weekly Weird: Mostly deeply technical esoterica.
- EmacsNYC: My old meetup in New York!
- Hundred Rabbits: A couple journeying around the world on a sailboat while developing software. #goals.
- Shady Characters: Blog (now mostly defunct, sadly) about obscure typographical sigils.
- Arts & Letters Daily: Article aggregator focusing on history and literature.
- Metafilter: A collaborative blog dating back to the golden age of the Old Web.
- ContraPoints: A series of thoroughly NSFW but beautifully crafted videos on mostly-but-not-exclusively gender politics.
- Semi-Rad: Writing and occasional cartoons about the perils of going outside.
- General Intellect Unit: “Podcast of the Cybernetic Marxists.”
- Bret Victor: Notable UI research and the presenter of perhaps my favorite technical talk.
- Robin Sloan: Author with a newsletter full of charming bits and bobs.
- Wesley Aptekar-Cassels's Notebook: Another great notebook blog of assorted thoughts and ideas.
- BLDGBLOG: An insightful architectural blog.
- Swissmiss: The blog of a Swiss designer living in Brooklyn.
- Trivium: A periodic collection of frequently intriguing technical projects and links.
- Jamie Zawinski: Early Netscape employee and current SF nightclub proprietor gripes about technology.
- Laws & Sausages: A Web comic about civics drawn by the artist behind Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
- tiny robots cuddling with other tiny robots: The not-very-secret internal blog of thoughtbot, my charming former employer.
- Roderick on the Line: A podcast in which indie musician and professional flâneur John Roderick and erstwhile productivity blogger Merlin Mann grouse about things.
- Idle Words: The blog of Maciej Cegłowski, author and operator of Pinboard.
- Terrible Things Happening in Cold Places: Just what it says.
- James Somers: Writer and programmer in NYC.
- CalTopo: A great tool for creating topographical maps.
- Revolutions Podcast: History podcast covering a series of revolutions in glorious and well-explained depth. Run by Mike Duncan, who formerly ran the similarly excellent History of Rome podcast.
- Send More Paramedics: Posts on Lisps (esp. Clojure), plus often-obscure book recommendations and other tidbits.
- Primitive Technology: Australian man makes compelling videos in which he rebuilds technology from scratch in the woods.
- Dylan Holmes: Friend who’s recently finished a PhD in AI at MIT and is curious about all kinds of delightful things.
- qntm: Writer and technical blogger with opinions about things.
- Lindsey Kuper: Prof at UCSC discussing academia and how to impose rigorous PLT theory onto distributed systems.
- Cabin Porn: Photos of charming buildings in lovely settings.